Monday, May 14, 2012

inspiration monday


i was roaming the aisles of my favorite craft store this past weekend, and i came across
this punch that creates really cute paper flowers.  i was really inspired by this idea, so here's another way to create a paper flower using supplies that you probably already have.  to make a flower, all you need is some paper, a paper punch, and strong adhesive.






for the base of your flower, cut two strips of paper about 1/4" wide and 12" long.  
punch out a nice little pile of shapes using your paper punch
(these will be the petals).






now apply some adhesive to your strip of paper.  you can use double-sided tape, glue, or some of the industrial strength red craft tape.....you just want it to be strong!  now lay your paper shapes onto the paper strip, spacing them evenly across the strip.  if you're using a paper that has a pattern, lay it pattern- side-down onto the strip.







now lay the second strip of paper onto the top of the first (the adhesive on your first strip will help attach the second strip).  apply adhesive to the second strip and lay more shapes in between the shapes of your first strip.






once your strips of paper are completely filled with punched shapes, start to roll your paper strip into a coil (you can wrap the end around a pencil to get it started).   roll your strip with the adhesive side out......the adhesive will help the paper stick together as you're rolling.  







once you've completely rolled your strips, place a dot of glue at the end of the paper to keep it from unraveling.  now gently bend the tops of your petals outward to start forming a flower shape.







you can add a decorative brad to the middle of your paper flower......








and then attach your finished flower to a card, small canvas, or art quilt!
these are so much fun to make, you'll have your own little art garden in no time!



{supplies:  scrapbook paper, fiskars heart punch, tombow permanent adhesive tape, decorative brad, glue, pitt pens, 4B graphite pencil, derwent watercolor pencils, strathmore 90 lb. paper}








36 comments:

Alex said...

Thanks for the tutorial Lori! I am going to get some punches to make some flowers like that. Really creative, and I love the background too! :)

Alice said...

pretty awesome!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

This is fabulous!!! Love how you used the hearts and the card looks gorgeous!! Happy Monday to you!

Dandelion and Daisy said...

What a great tutorial! It makes a darling card but has lots of other applications too! Thanks for sharing.

MarveLes Art Studios said...

oh my gosh~! That is the cutest thing I've seen in a long, long while! SWEET! Adorable. And so fun! Thanks Elvie!

marie said...

Love, love, love these cute little flowers...and the card is wonderful!

Thanks so much!!

wv said...

flowers by lori?
flori!

xXx

CrystalC2B said...

I love this Lori!

Seems like every month I'm having to add to my supply/tool stash because of something you post, which is a-ok by me!

Sue K said...

Oh my...this is just darling! Taking something simple and making something beautiful out of it. I love your card and will have to try my hand at it.
hugs, Sue K

Carmen said...

Thanks for sharing. It's adorable.

Eulalia said...

"Bravooooo, bravoooooo" like to the italian opera.
Your imagination sharpen one's wit!!!
What a little big idea!
xoxoxo Eulalia, your nutty friend.

Mieke said...

Wow, Beautiful!!

teri said...

You are so clever. Where do you GET these clever ideas? Do they land on your head like raindrops?

Rose of Sharon said...

How sweet and cute is this! Thank you Lori for the tutorial. I just so enjoy your art!!

Julie S said...

Lori, Lori, Lori...you never cease to make my eyes widen and an "Oh! What a wonderful idea!" pop unhindered from my O-shaped mouth. I have had this punch for YEARS and it never occured to me to do something like this. Fabulous, yet again. :)

Ann-Margret Hovsepian said...

That's lovely! What a neat idea. Must make time to try this out this week. :)

Margaret said...

Fab flower. I haven't got a small heart punch so I might experiment with a different altogether!

Margaret xx

Myriam Martín Retortillo said...

Guau, como siempre, qué original! Es un placer tenerte todos los lunes!!!

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

so perfectly adorable with your charming art!

Jackie said...

Very Clever :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for this!!I asaw a punch the same as this, but just didn't think I could use it that often..Boy was I wrong after seeing your lovely tutorial!

Would you consider not having Word Verification on your comments..it is so hard to read.

Pixie said...

Oh, that is SO flippin' COOL!

Andria said...

This is super-cute!

I hope you had a great Mother's Day!!

LuckyDog said...

So precious--I love it!

David and Christine said...

Another brillant idea! Thanks for the tutorial I'm going to have to try this myself.

Jeanette said...

Lori,
Super-duper cute!!!! What an ingenious idea. Your creativity and cleverness will never cease to AMAZE me!!! Have a week filled with blessings (& chocolate)!!!
xoox, Jeanette

Isabel said...

Omg!!! Love this tutorial!!! Im def trying it:O) Thanks for sharing:O)

Stephanie said...

Awesome! Thanks for the tutorial.

rachel awes said...

DELICIOUS!!!
((hello friend!))
xox

Createology said...

Your little heart flower is precious. The flower really adds to the card. Of course your pen work also makes everything complete. You certainly are inspiration my dear...

gail schmidt said...

Absolutely adorable Lori!
xo
Gail

Bridget said...

I LOVE this Lori! Thanks for showing how to make it...it would have taken me way too long to figure out on my own. Hee Hee.

Unknown said...

wow! What a great idea Lori! I love coming here and learning something new :)

Lynette (NZ) said...

I loved this sweet idea so much I've given you a link in my blog love this week : http://lynettecollis.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/bits-and-pieces.html

Jennifer M. said...

Whoa! Very cool! Looks easy and sooo beautiful! I'm adding this to my "To Try" list. ;)

Kathy Bl said...

So darn creative! Can't wait to try the idea. What about one more strip with a bit larger hearts????

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...