Monday, May 9, 2011

inspiration monday


here's an easy way to add some watercolor flair to your projects......and you don't even have to draw or use watercolor!  all it takes is a few supplies:  your favorite rubber stamp, a watersoluble marker,  a waterbrush or paint brush,  and some watercolor paper.



first, run the tip of your marker across the rubber stamp.  make sure you cover all the areas of the image well.



then stamp it onto your paper.  don't worry if it doesn't come out even.....we're going to change it up a bit anyway!



using your waterbrush or damp paintbrush, touch the lines made by the marker and start to "paint" the color around the image.  the water on your brush activates the pigment of the watersoluble marker, giving it a watercolor look!  {one thing i noticed, though......i used a very damp brush here.  if you add too much water, your image will start to disappear!}



you can go back with your marker and add some of the details and lines that may have been lost during your painting.



and if you want to add more color without putting more marker directly onto your image, you can also swipe your marker across your acrylic stamp block,  or piece of plastic......



then pick up the color off the block with your brush and add it to your image.



once you have your image all painted and detailed, add a title if you want, and presto....
you've got a little faux watercolor masterpiece
(and you didn't even have to draw a thing!!)!


for my faux watercolor, i used these supplies:
framed girl rubber stamp, tombow watersoluble marker #493, niji waterbrush, 
strathmore 400 series w/c paper, pilot hi-tech pen for lettering







26 comments:

Cynthia Schelzig said...

yes, one of my favorite things to do with stamps...I use the watercolor crayons...your face stamp turned out great!

Unknown said...

What a great idea! I don't know why I'm so afraid of taking water to my inks (stamp or otherwise...) I need to start trying that. It's amazing what a tiny bit of shading and softening will do to a simple stamped image... it made it come alive!

A'n'G Johnson said...

fantastic idea lori! I'll have to pull out the watercolors soon and just play!

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Sweetie! :D

This is such a great idea, Lori, and I love your stamp!...Your Mother's Day post below is sooo perfect! It's adorable, and it brought a smile and some giggles to my face. How true!!! Missed you!

xoxo Paulette

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

very inspiring and I'm going now to see if I have any markers that will work...I have one of the art journals from your Etsy shop as well as a stamp. gotta go and craft now...

Createology said...

Oh Lori thank you for showing us how to get this watercolor look so easily and with so little in supplies. Marvelous May to you...

Sarah said...

Fabulous little tutorial. Sometimes I forget what a little water can do.

mama bleu said...

such a simple, yet beautiful idea. thanks for sharing!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love this! What a fun idea. I have seen the waterbrushes...and have wanted to try one. Now I have an excuse. :)

Trish said...

lovely! you make everything you do look great though!

Shelley Malone said...

Ohhhhhhh, what a great idea!! And yours is beautiful, as always. Your lettering is amazing. *swoon*

rachel awes said...

you are full of
blue magic.
xox

Sherri P eh said...

Oooh Lori, this is fabulous!! And I have that gorgeous stamp! Must try this. Thanks for sharing and inspiring!!

Andria said...

This came out looking so pretty...thank you for such a great technique idea. I'm definitely going to have to try it!

Tammie Lee said...

so wonderful to see your progress, thank for sharing your steps to create this wonderful piece.

Sue Simpson said...

Great idea Elvie.....especially when in a rush! :o)

K said...

Very nice :) It works with Holz's Distress inkpads as well.

Julie Bagamary said...

OOO - I like this.

Jancalligrapher said...

Very cute way to add depth to your stamp, I like it!

BALLET NEWS said...

I don't know how you do it. Always inspiring. And I love the colour you've chosen too.

chrissy said...

i ADORE all the sweet inspiration you share.
i just ADORE you.
xo
c

Dori Patrick said...

Clever!!!

Jane Farr said...

Wonderful step-by-step Lori! Thank you!

Ella said...

Magical! I love this idea; thanks so much for sharing~

Art Expression said...

I love this idea = )

Luvcreatincards said...

Thank you sooooo much Lori for sharing this lovely idea/technique, I will try it out myself. It looks great fun and give a gorgeous result. I loved the post you shared when you created faux water colour effects by using Tombows and an acrylic block, that you spritzed with water, then slipped over your watercolour paper to,p give a wonderfully soft and multi colored look. So I think the two together will,look great.
Warmest best wishes from France,
Susanne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...