Monday, March 5, 2012

inspiration monday


here's an easy way to create a fun little storage container for your studio,
using just a few supplies!






choose a mini tote bag in your favorite color and rinse it out to remove the starches and sizing.  then iron out the wrinkles.






draw a little sketch of your design using a pencil.
(you could use stencils, too!)






now all you have to do is color everything using fabric crayons 
(i've used pentel fabric pastel dye sticks......they are very creamy and easy to use!).  

{note: since i used a canvas material, i got a more textured result.  if you'd like a more solid colored image, try using a cotton muslin or other smooth fabric surface.}  





to set your image, place a piece of paper over your design and run a warm iron over it......
some of the wax from the crayon will transfer to the paper.






just to tidy things up a bit, you can add some lines, details, and lettering if you like, 
using a fabric marker.





you can also add some dots or other fun stuff using some
dimensional fabric paint!








and when you're done, you have a sweet little personalized storage container
to hold some of your favorite art supplies!
:))


{supplies:  pentel fabric fun pastel dye sticks, mini canvas bags
compact iron, black fabric pen, pencil, pitt pen, scribbles fabric paint}

p.s.  alisa burke has put together a free "finding your muse" online class!!
check it out here!  it's really fabulous!!



31 comments:

Jeanette said...

Lori! Does it get any cuter???? I LOVE the bag and of course the goodies inside are perfect. You top the clever scale every time. How adorable! I'll have to give this one a try - add it to my ever-growing list...Have a lovely week!
xoxo, Jeanette

Unknown said...

oh these pastels/crayons for fabrics are amazing! we have here only markers :) but they are also great (except the fact they are super thick o.O) i don't use it much, but usually I write 'marysza' on my bags or something like that.. xxxx

Annie Lightbulb said...

The bag looks awesome, thank you for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love it. I think my granddaughter would love to make one of these...and so would grandma!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

uuuuhhh it´s in the bag!! Now is this a niffffttty looking bag or WHAT!!!

Primitives By The Light of The Moon said...

How cute is that thank you for sharing!

Createology said...

Super cute little bag Lori dear. I can see infinite possibilities for gifts with this Monday Inspiration. Thank you very much.

Kelly Warren said...

that is too cute! you never cease to amaze me. :-)

mauihumv@gmail.com said...

Too CUTE...love your little bag:)

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!
Hope you have some space left in your container for some chocolate!!!!

Renee Troy said...

What fun, Lori! It's been awhile since blog hopping but you are always on my list when I do. Nice to see you still enjoying yourself.
Hugs,
Renee

teri said...

Love this! I'll have to give them a try.

Margaret said...

Another fabulous project. There is no end to your talents! I find that I am looking at your blog with trepidation, wondering what else you have done to tempt me down another path lol

I've made myself a small art journal, at last I hear you say :o) Will it still be an art journal if I use my stamps and pc for my images and lettering?

Margaret xx

Lisa Holtzman said...

Wonderful Lori! And of course, chocolate in your tote : )

Pat said...

I love that chocolate is considered an art supply. I couldn't create without it.

Claire M said...

Yet another awesome idea from you!! These would be great for Easter too -- filled with Chocolate!

aprilmariecole.blogspot.com said...

This is very cute and clever!
Thank you for sharing... and chocolate in the studio, a must!! LOL :]

Doda Smith said...

That is really cute. Can't believe you can buy 4 little tote bags for 3 dollars! Wish we had craft stores here like you have there! And the pastels look like mega fun too! Love your little Elvie Studio bag!

K said...

Awww, that's really cute!

Sena said...

That is super cute!

Tara said...

How cute! you are just too creative. gotta pick me up a bag or 2!
Hugs,
tara

Michelle O'Connor said...

So great! thanks for the inspiration!

http://dinneranddrawing.blogspot.com/

Atticelf said...

That just makes me smile. It is so cute and much more attractive than the rinsed out soup can that I'm using! LOL.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

That is so awesome! Thanks! Twyla

Tammie Lee said...

oh, those are some of my favorite things too ;-)
this is a wonderfully charming bag!

Jancalligrapher said...

Adorable as always!

Eulalia said...

Wonderful minibags... full of ideas, rich in imaginations... full of your dreams and desire!!
I'd like to get one of these (with your "trademark")... but I'm pleased to see them on your blog.
Have a marvellous weekend Lori.
xoxoxo Eulalia

marie said...

This is such a great idea...perfect for personalizing bags for my grandchildren. Thanks for the inspiration!!

Andria said...

These are adorable! You gotta love something so cute AND useful!

Unknown said...

oh I can always count on coming here and finding something so very very awesome. THANK YOU for this post. I can't wait to try this:))

Alexandra MacVean said...

This is OH so cute?!?! Rock on, Lori. Again, LOVE your idea. Wow.

:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...