Tuesday, April 21, 2009

a song for bobbi


several days ago, i wrote about working on a piece of art for an upcoming calligraphy exhibit that a small group of lettering artists are participating in.  this exhibit is a little different from our others in that we'll be remembering and honoring one of our members, bobbi yoffee, who was tragically taken from us by cancer several years ago.  


bobbi was the thread that held our group together...always willing to coordinate our meetings and offer her beautiful home as our meeting place.  her enthusiasm for letterforms was contagious, and her letterforms themselves were imaginative, creative and absolutely beautiful.


bobbi created many pieces of art showcasing the beautiful Scriptures found in the book of Song of Songs.  so, in remembrance of bobbi, i chose Song of Songs 2:12 as my focal point.  she used to encourage my willingness to use "non-traditional" materials for my lettering projects, so i decided to assemble a small quiltlet using batik fabrics in vibrant colors to match her personality.  the Scripture was hand lettered on paper and then scanned and printed onto the batik, and the flower and dove were created from coordinating fabrics.  beads and buttons were hand-sewn to finish the artwork...bobbi always loved all of the details!  

13 comments:

Shaina said...

What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute to a friend! Nice job Lori!

PrairiePeasant said...

What a beautiful piece, and so nice that you were able to arrange for this tribute exhibition. It is so special to have had people in our lives who were so precious, and to remember what they left with us.

Anonymous said...

what a lovely tribute, Lori. :)
you did just a phenomenal job!
BEAUTIFUL, as ALWAYS! :):)
-jes

Teresa aka Tess said...

This piece is stunning. You did a wonderful job and I love all of the colors you chose. It is so sad when we loose those around us and yet you are helping to keep her memory alive and her art admired with post like this. Well done!!

Gina Lee Kim said...

I didn't have the privilege to know Bobbi. But I can feel/sense who she was through your art. It makes me grateful for all that is beautiful and all the good things I have in my life right now. Thank you Lori.

simoart said...

This is a beautiful piece and a very nice tribute to Bobbi, very special artwork.

Cristi Baxter Clothier said...

OMG! Lori, this is absolutely stunning! What a beautiful piece of art and tribute to your friend! Outstanding!

Unknown said...

GORGEOUS!!!
I want you in my book. I'm gonna send you an email today...
This is beautiful!!
xo
Chrissie

Julie Bagamary said...

This piece is a wonderful tribute. I like the layout, colors and batiks. Very nice.

noodle and lou said...

so beautiful Lori!! just like you.
You are such a lovely person and friend.
What a special tribute to bobbi.

xoxoxox

and p.s. your house is looking awesome! yay!!

Gifts of Creation said...

Wow! This is gorgeous! I love your tribute to your friend..how inspirational!!

Jane Farr said...

Lori! I love how all of your elements are pieced together to create a beautiful "song" for Bobbi. Your heartfelt description of her reminds me of the many, wonderful people in my local calligraphy guild. I think this exhibit for Bobbi is a wonderful idea.

Kelly Warren said...

beautiful piece, lori, and a beautiful sentiment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...