Sunday, November 1, 2009

inspiration monday

"some days there won't be a song in your heart. sing anyway."
emory austin


sometimes the inspiration just isn't there......and for those days when you really want to get humming, here are some ideas to tuck into your creativity songbook:

*grab a coloring book and box of crayons. it seems simple, but everyone finds comfort in coloring....and it's great fun to be a kid again!

*create some color washes onto blank paper using two or three colors of paint. just moving some color around with a paintbrush is inspiring, and you'll be happy to have these wash papers in your stash for a later project!

*spend some time curled up in your favorite chair with a good book, or even your stack of catalogs! my pottery barn and anthropologie catalogs never disappoint when it comes to inspiration!

*call one of your art buddies! having our own work space is fabulous, but it can also be lonely sometimes. good friends always have extra inspiration that they're willing to share!

*what's old is new again! look back at some of the artwork you created a year ago.....can you embellish upon the same idea? how would it look in a different color.....what happens if you use watercolor instead of acrylic?

*and my personal favorite that really gets me singing..... eat a piece of chocolate!! and yes, it's okay if it's on top of ice cream! (this one's a little tricky, and may need to be repeated once or twice before inspiration truly kicks in.... )

21 comments:

Sara said...

Wonderful ideas, Lori! I definitely need a dose of inspiration now and then...and you always have just what I need. Hope your halloween was delightful! You know I'm a musician...and I just love that little music doodle :)

Dolores said...

What wonderful ideas. I think I'll go and try some of those out. There's still some little Hallowe'en treats left to much on while I'm creating.

Lauren Maurer said...

GREAT ideas, Lori! You are the queen of inspiration! How did I ever make it through a Monday morning before I started following your blog??? :)

LR said...

i think i have the chocolate part covered with all this halloween candy & chocolate. i absolutely want to try getting together with a creative buddy. thanks for the inspiration.

julie king said...

loving these ideas for giving inspiration a kick start, lori! of course, the chocolate idea is my fave. hee hee

Marie aka Grams said...

There's something about your blog that just makes me smile every time it comes up. This post was perfect for Monday morning, and the photo made my heart sing. Thanks, Lori.

tami said...

What a wonderful post : ) Made me smile. And chocolate is ALWAYS a good idea! Thanks for your inspiration.

Kelly Warren said...

good tips lori! and i love that quote and the drawing you did with it. :-)

aaaa said...

wow!! great saying and love the last suggestion:) it's definitely my thing :)

love.

Alexandra MacVean said...

"some days there won't be a song in your heart. sing anyway." <--- I TOTALLY need to remember this quote. Do you mind if I place it on my sidebar?

What a great post and very touching for me today. Thank you!

Becky Shander said...

How about chocolate with ice cream AND a movie break?! Watching movies especially an artsy foreign flick will get my creativity flowing, and the chocolate/ice cream combo would be the perfect addition.

Pat said...

Oh yes, that last one will definitely do the trick! Thanks for making Mondays a little brighter each week.

Martha Lever said...

This is such a great post Lori. I I got a chuckle out of your comment on mine today. You're so funny. :0
I think all of your suggestions are wonderful. Please write them all down in Italic calligraphy and keep them for posterity. Ok, you don't have to do that! :)

Beedeebabee said...

I just love your list Lori, all great ideas...and I'm adding "visiting Lori's blog" to my list also, because YOU are so darn inspiring yourself!...now I'm off to eat some of that chocolate topped, ice cream! ADORABLE Loridoodle!!! Hugs, Paulette =D

Patty S said...

AWESOME advice ;-)

Tara said...

I can always count on you Lori for great inspiration. Love your tips. I agree with you on them all...especially the chocolate and ice cream. LOL...
I got together with some artsy friends this weekend and it is so true that I was inspired by them.
Hugs

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Such wonderful advice. Perfect for a Monday like today...!

Claire M said...

I'm so glad I stopped by here tonight -- you just put a smile on my face. I love your happy and creative ideas and that is a super quote!!

K said...

Perfect! I should've followed any but the last, but the last one was readily available :P

♥♥ tuğçe♥♥ said...

all of them are great but the last my is a therapy for me((:

PrairiePeasant said...

Thanks for the great inspirational ideas, Lori!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...