Thursday, January 14, 2010

pure play

i have a sweet bloggy-kindred-spirit (she actually has sugar-coated-heart-shaped-wool-felt -wings adorned with beautiful beads, sequins, and other fabulous sparkly things!) who has given me some fantastic advice to help me through this creative-tough-spot that i've been in.......take out some of my favorite supplies, don't worry about doing a "finished project", and just play.


so i took her up on that little gem of wisdom, and had a ton of fun trying some things on fabric that i normally would have done on paper. i didn't use any new techniques, i just played!

here's what i used:
*the fabric is called "drill 40"....i bought it at joann fabrics (it's sold by the yard on a bolt with the muslin fabrics). it's a little heavier like canvas, but tightly woven so it's easier to write on.
*a round foam stamp
*ink pads (i used dye ink, but any would probably work)
*micron pens
*watercolor pencils (i used derwent inktense)
*watercolor brush
*pilot fine point fabric pen (sold here)


on a different note.....thank you SO much for your sweet encouragement and fun comments (you always make me smile!!) about the water challenges that we're having in our house right now. after extensive plumber-type-testing, we've been told that the problem is due to a hole in the shower pan.....which is plumber speak for "we're going to tear up the tile, replace the pan liner, re-tile, re-grout, patch up all the holes in the wall, patch up all the holes in the family room ceiling, repaint the wall damage, repaint the ceiling damage, re-stretch the carpet that's been pulled back, clean said carpet, and get lots and lots of dust and other construction-type goo all over the house".
the silver lining: it's all covered by warranty....woo hoo!
the silver lining, part 2: looks like i get to go shopping for more chocolate....woo hoo!


25 comments:

Jancalligrapher said...

I love your play piece, Lori, keep hanging in there. It is tough to be SO creative when the ceiling is falling down. Chicken Little!

Sandi said...

I think maybe your are movin out, that is wonderful. By the way are you going to share the site for your friends wings? Hugs

Mary said...

Oh yeah, I know about the shower pan thing!! :) We finally showered in our shower this morning!!

BALLET NEWS said...

completely love it !

sara said...

How fun! Now I need to get some watercolor pencils.....

Dolores said...

And of course, they will do this soon, quickly and on time with little disruption to the household. What angels!
What a great little diversion.

Apple said...

Very cute little piece!! Playing is fun! :)

Patty S said...

don't you just love joann's fabrics? :-)
love your little ink-a-doodle!

Tara said...

Lovin that playin around stuff. Love the watercolor pencils, I have a set of those. FUN!

We have been having some plumbing problems too, so I know right what you are talking about!

Hugs,
Tara

LR said...

must try the fabric. love love the doodle.

presious said...

Lori,

I wish I had half your creative spirit! Everything you touch comes out so beautiful! :) Be patient with yourself. I would imagine you become quite restless when you get in those tough spots. You can do it! Good job on this one, once more!

Kim Hambric said...

Glad to hear that you went to play! Love the results.

I'm also glad to hear of this drill 40. Might be just the thing this fabric artist is looking for.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Your repair job sounds...extreme. Isn't it incredible how a leak can turn into a HUGE project? SO glad it's covered by warranty, lori! Do you think "redoing" stress can cause creative stalls? (Although, your dots and doodles are awesome!) Keep going with the chocolate. I've got THAT covered!

Lauren Maurer said...

OOo I love to play... it's true that we should all do it way more often! I hope that all goes well with the fixing of the leaking!

Doda said...

Looks like your creativity is doing just fine. That is adorable!

Anonymous said...

It is playing like this that helps get one thru trying time..
Great art and fun too!
hugs, Darlene x

Carmen said...

How cute!

I just love coming to your blog. There is a positive vibe I always get when I pop over here.

Hope you have a nice weekend.

xo,
Carmen

Staci Danford said...

So sorry to hear about your water mess.. Some times in our life we'd just like to earase.. Hope all is fixed very soon.. Keep playing and hang on til it's all done.. Love your little saying. Was so fun and made me smile.
Staci

Jeannette StG said...

Am glad you don't have to pay for it!!

Thanks for going to my blog:) Your last name is Dutch -are you Dutch? (I am, but I've been living in Los Angeles for more than 20 years).

WingingIt said...

i know that my home is my spirit...when things are stirred up in my house...my energy becomes fractured...it is hard for me to focus...so hang in there darling...be kind to yourself...it takes alot of energy to hold the fractured pieces together sometimes...your artwork reflects a light heartedness...i admire that...thanks for your thoughts..
lorri-marie

Janean said...

i mean you can just "whip up" something as FAB as this??? you are just waaaayyy too creative! adore it!

Beedeebabee said...

Hi Sweetie! ;D I love your ink-a-dink-a-doodle! It's adorable and happy and so you! I love that you're working with fabric too! There are so many wonderful sides to your art, Lori!!!... Hopefully, Mr. Leaky will disappear soon, boy what a pest he's been! Thank goodness, it's all covered under your warranty...that's really cause to go shopping for more chocolate!...Keep creating your adorable things, Sweetie! xoxo Paulette

Claire M said...

Pretty neat design that you came up with. Great idea to just get out some supplies and PLAY!!

Cat said...

Fantastic!

The Drill 40 is what i used for the thread sketches, it's a neat weight fabric for art.

I hope you have a lot of fun your art on fabric... posibilities are endless!

Alexandra MacVean said...

Love this post and how inspiring to be creative even when one doesn't feel like it. Thinking of you! xo :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...