Thursday, December 11, 2008

book anxiety

i have such a soft spot for anything classic, so when i spied this houndstooth fabric in the store, i just had to have it.  i thought it would be perfect for this book, which was bound using a "quarter binding" (it's called a quarter binding because one quarter of the cover is bound using bookcloth...except for this book i used black leather).  this is my first quarter binding and i love the way it looks...except for one major thing.  
when i finished binding the book, i noticed that the fabric seems to be crooked just at the top and bottom.  if you look at the front edge of the book, and where the leather meets the fabric, the pattern of the fabric is straight.  if the sides are straight, how then can the pattern be crooked at the top and bottom?!  do you think it was just printed that way?   do things like this really bother you too, or is my type-A personality just rearing its ugly head?  the irony of it is that i really like the book...it's just that now my eye goes straight to the crookedness of the fabric every time i look at it!  well, i'll wait to hear your opinion before i judge it any further...please let me know what you think about this!

4 comments:

Teresa aka Tess said...

My momma always said about crafting same as with art, "Any slight flaw makes the item unique, It's only a flaw if you allow it to be.". I see this book as really awesome and if that little crookedness bothers you I'll gladly take it from you. LOL I agree with the question, "IF the front is straight how can the top and bottom be crooked?". Beats me! I love the book.

Anonymous said...

asymmetry is perfeect!

Michelle (aka mybelle101) said...

Oi...I have the same problem with a houndstooth background stamp that I have. I think it may be something about the pattern itself? I'm not sure, but I'm with you on the Type A, OCD, "this is driving me crazy" deal...it always bugs me, so I almost never use that stamp anymore :(

LOVE LOVE LOVE the book anyway...I'm a sucker for classic patterns!

lori vliegen said...

thanks so much everyone for your encouraging comments! tess, i love the comment from your mom...it's SO true! thanks again! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...