Monday, October 24, 2011

inspiration monday


here's an easy way to create a "hand-drawn look" without actually drawing anything!  you'll need your favorite rubber stamp, a fine-mist spray bottle, a watersoluble graphite pencil (i'm using an 8B), a paint brush or waterbrush, and a piece of paper that's suitable for water media (i'm using my strathmore visual journal for mixed media).





first, spray a very light mist of water onto your stamp.





while your stamp is still damp, rub the side of your watersoluble graphite pencil over the entire stamp.  the water will activate the graphite and transfer it to the stamp.





now stamp your image onto your paper.  it's no problem at all if your image isn't perfect.....just take your pencil and go over any lines or areas that need more graphite (adding these extra lines also makes it look more hand-drawn!).





now using your waterbrush (or paintbrush and water), go over your lines to activate the graphite......





you can spread the graphite out to give your artwork shadows and dimension!






and if you want to take it a step further, you can add your own touches with some boo-tiful letters, a fun border, and a little watercolor!  now you have a whimsical little piece of art that was created with graphite,  and looks like it was completely hand-drawn! 



{this project was created using a derwent watersoluble 8B graphitone pencil,
mini mister bottle, waterbrush, haunted house rubber stamp by imaginisce (i found mine at michael's), derwent inktense pencils,  strathmore visual journal for mixed media}




28 comments:

Maria said...

Amazing!!!!

Alexandra MacVean said...

Absolutely love it. I'm always eager, as I read/scroll down through your posts what colour, etc you've added to your black and whites. Never cease to amaze me. :)

Happy Monday! Hugs

jgr said...

This is so cool! Thank you for the step-by-step.

fran pascazio said...

Delightful! Thanks for the tutorial as well!

Pat said...

This looks frightfully easy and fun. :)

Isabel said...

Love that!!!! Thanxs for sharing:O)

Dymphie said...

oww Lori, you always come with the most cutest projects, I'm in awe (again!) :)

xo Dymphie

p.s. i've registered to 'drawlab' a minute ago, cannot wait to start, yeehaa

Dolores said...

You always come up with the best little projects and ideas.

sher said...

OMG! You're another one! That was such a "duh" moment. I use water soluab;e crayons all the time and it never occurred to me to use the graphite pencil. As Homer says "D'oh!"

Anonymous said...

Great idea! Thanks for the tutorial.

Unknown said...

great idea! thanks for the tip!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

ah ha! Now I know how you achieve all those great shadows..well, duh on me! You've probably told us a

million times ..the lights just went on for me :-)

Darling card/work of art/picture

Jeanette said...

Lori, This is spook-tacularly cute! How clever. I've not used pencils like that, guess I'll be visiting Dick Blick. Thanks for such a fun idea. Hope your week is hauntingly fun. Yes, I'll stop for now...xoxo, Jeanette

Createology said...

Oh Yeah! I can do this. Thank you dear sweet Lori for taking the fear out of art. I love the simplicity of this drawing. Happy Haunting...

Martha Lever said...

I love your step by steps and as usually is turned out BOO-tiful!!! Love it!!!

wv said...

we need a bigger studio

we have so much talent here!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

This house is definitely boooo-tiful!
I have done this with watercolor colored crayons but duhhhh, do it with a pencil color...this is one of those hitting yourself with your hand upon the side of your head moments:)
Loved seeing the step by step....thanx:)

Margaret said...

Now I will definitely try this! I have the stamps and everything else just need the time lol
Margaret xx

Jessie May said...

That is such a cute picture and thank you for the step by step guide. Can't wait to get my stamps out!

Jancalligrapher said...

So cute, Lori, I have to try that!

Claire M said...

What a super clever idea!! Do you happen to take a 'clever vitamin' every morning as you start your day? There must be some magic bottle that you have!!

Caryl said...

I love this too. Have to try this.

Linda Jordan said...

This is such a great idea! If I had any of those tools I would definitely try it. Your end result came out very cute!!

Linda
http://lasteve1.blogspot.com

Dymphie said...

back to tell a light bulb went off :) I've registered to your letter*lab class (not draw lab, obviously) xo

Clare said...

So Simple thanks for the little ideas you put forth on your wonderful blog.

Atticelf said...

Whoa! That's a great technique!

Christine E-E said...

appreciate your step-by-step directions. Plan to share this with my grand-niece this weekend. A great activity for artistically minded children.

Kathy McCreedy said...

You are beyond clever, Lori!!! I would not have ever thought of that trick with the water soluable graphite pencil and the water brush, thank you for sharing your cool technique for shadowing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...