Monday, August 1, 2011

inspiration monday


i recently found a super fun video by joanne fink where she shows how to create her gorgeous  decorated letters in her own "zenspiration" style!  i really love the way she adds doodles and doodads in all those wonderful little blank spaces........and then i started wondering how could i go about putting my own spin on it?  so instead of drawing my letter on paper like joanne does, i drew an "L" on a piece of heavyweight muslin fabric using a micron.



 then i took it to my sewing maching and filled in some of those empty spaces using 
different colors of thread.




when i was done making a mess with the sewing machine (i'm a total newbie when it comes to free-motion stitching!),  i realized i had covered up most of my black lines.....




so i touched it up with some more micron.  




and, well, it's not exactly "zenspiration"......but it's definitely "elvie"!  :))


you can watch joanne's video here......
have fun inventing new ways to decorate your initials!



26 comments:

Mary said...

and it's definitely beautiful!

Isabel said...

Awesome! Love the way it turned out:O)

Jeanette said...

You've taken a monogram to a whole new level! Love it, so fun! Certainly has the wheels of creative motion going...Have a super, fab-o week!

Unknown said...

That. Is. GORGEOUS!! Wow!!

Betty Jo said...

There is just no end to your creativity!! It's beautiful, love it. Now I'm off to see the video. ♥

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Oooh. Ahhh. I love lettering and quilting together! You've hit a soft spot in my heart! Keep it up; it's gorgeous! And... I adore the letter "L!" Sesame street anyone?!

Julie Bagamary said...

Inspiration indeed. Looks great.

nancybabb said...

I just watched all her videos yesterday! And of course my next plan of action is to give the letters a go as well....but YOUR IDEA IS AMAZING! I LOVE! LOVE! it!

mama bleu said...

L.....my initial. How nice that you showed me how to make it beautiful!!!

Dymphie said...

'there's no box, never was' it's the title of a blog I once visited, that title suits you well too :)
Love your sewn monogram Lori, so different and fun and so "Elvie' :)

Cynthia Schelzig said...

mmmmdoooodles and doooodads...what fun....I just love your doodles and dooodads!!! This L looks great!

Martha Lever said...

I LOVE IT and Joanne would love it! After all...what's not to love!!?? :))

Moois van mie said...

thanx for the link and for your own letter! It's gorgeous, it really is!!!!!

Andria said...

Thank you for introducing me to Joanne Fink. I love lettering and I love tangles, so what a great combination! Great stitching approach to the monogram.

Createology said...

How very fun to incorporate your art pens with your thread magic. Love the "elvie" monogram. Monday Smiles...

milkcan said...

Brilliant!

Marie aka Grams said...

It's so fun to watch your creative soul run with the fun. Thanks for your offerings.

Unknown said...

So cool!

Jane Farr said...

Zenspirational Lori! love, LoVe, LOVE it!

Atticelf said...

That's so cool! I think your spin is fabulous.

Dolores said...

Ohhhh this looks like fun. Thanks for the inspiration and the link.

Betty Jo said...

I watched Joanne's videos, and more I found through her site and they are truly inspiring. Just ordered my first micron pens. Thanks for the inspiration. ♥

Patty S said...

really neat! i'd love to get one of those free motion sewing machines! you did a great job for being a 'newbie'!!! xo

Monica Holtsclaw said...

This is SO SO beautiful!

Chrissie said...

This is simply wonderful and totally inspirational!
Chrissie

Gail said...

I see that your Zenspiration-style stitching is from way back -- it's going around on Pinterest! I only recently found that same video by Joanne Fink and play with my pens that way all the time. I LOVE your concept for stitching them up!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...