Monday, August 22, 2011

inspiration monday


i can't think of anything more inspiring than to have my sweet little niece alyssa sitting by my side up in my studio.   everything looks great to her, and instead of wishing she'd done something differently, she welcomes "happy accidents".  alyssa is a pro with polymer clay, so this time we thought we'd switch it up a bit and open a package of paperclay that i've had in my stash for a while.  you don't need many supplies to have fun with paperclay......the only thing that's really required is water, because the clay dries out fairly quickly (mini mister spray bottles are very helpful!), along with some clay tools, and craft wire (this is optional, we used a little for finishing touches).



the first thing to do is look through your journals for some inspiration......



and then grab a piece of paperclay and start molding it into the shape you want.  it helps to give a little spritz of water now and then to keep your fingers clean, and the clay from drying out too much.  the water also helps smooth out the clay, and serves as "glue" when you add other small pieces like ears, legs, and who knows......maybe a hat!



alyssa made a bunny (with nails for the legs), and a piggie.....



and i made the birdie (wire for legs and tail)
 and the mousie  (nails for legs, and wire for the tail).



then let them dry completely.  drying time depends on the thickness of your piece......we let ours dry for about two days.  then it's time to paint your masterpiece.......



with some acrylic paint or watercolor.



once everything is dry,  introduce all your new paperclay
 cuties to each other during their photo shoot (as you can see, alyssa was quite busy).




and giggle a little over how much fun it is to be inspired by
all of that creative goodness right there inside of your journals!



{supplies:  paperclay, wood clay tools, mini mister bottles, acrylic paint, paint brushes,  20 and 24 gauge craft wire, wire cutters, small nails, scrapbook paper for birdie wings, embroidery floss for mousie hat trim}







30 comments:

Ann-Margret said...

Aww, those are all so cute! :D When my nieces were younger they used to come over every Sunday afternoon for craft time and it was the highlight of my week. :) Now they're 14 and almost 20 and are too busy most of the time... so enjoy these times with your niece!

Mary said...

what a great idea, these are the cutest little critters ever. what fun the two of you had.

Lori, it was so good to meet you, and thank you for my sweet treat. it's beautiful and i will frame it and put it by my desk. my next visit i want to plan a day of art play with you and Martha!!

xxoo

Nancy said...

These are so cute; I must try them with my grandchildren......Thanks for the inspiration...

Anonymous said...

Hi Lori,
I think these are just awesome! Loving the colors to the subject matter. She sure is a little talented artist.. isnt she?.
My grand-daughter comes over and we play art together often .. isn't it fun?
ugs.. Darlene

rachel awes said...

her hands are the love-eee-est!
i love all of your creations here..
great teamwork (including the bunnies & other dear creatures!!
xox

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!! Gracie just got home from her summer adventure with my parents, and I've been gathering up great ideas for us to do together. I have a package of papercla in my stash- I'm definitely going to whip it out today and see what we can dream up together! You are such an inspiration!

mama bleu said...

These are the sweetest things ever!!

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

How sweet! and looks like so much fun! My boys would love doing something so different like this! Very creative :)
TFS! hugs, margie

Patty S said...

aw they make me smile.
it's so neat to see your 2-D drawings come to life in 3-D!
so glad you had fun with your niece!
xoxo

MarveLes Art Studios said...

Giggle Giggle! How great is that! Sweet moments for sure. What a nice time to create with a young heart! And... they are CUTE! (probably not as cute as the niece, eh?!)

Jeanette said...

Lori, How cute are your little creations? A-dorable. What a great way to bring to life a journal inspiration. Think I can still hear the giggles...
Best, Jeanette

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Cutest lil critters EVER!

Lisa said...

these are very cute!!!

chrissy said...

i've missed your inspiration this summer....darling little critters!

Kelly Warren said...

too cute! I imagine my girlies could have lots of fun with that stuff!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness - they are the cutest things I have ever lay my eyes on!

TwoHeartsPath said...

Absolutely Adorable little Creations!! Too Too Sweet! TFS Love Them All!! Patti

Pat said...

Too stinking cute--the art and the artists!

Marie aka Grams said...

I'll look for Alyssa's art in your Etsy shop. They should be best sellers. Great inspiration and so much fun.

Createology said...

How much fun this looks like with your niece and you making adorable little paper clay animals inspired by your journal drawings. I love them all. Happy week to you...

LuckyDog said...

How adorable! I bet she had a GREAT time with her creative aunt!

Colleen - the AmAzINg Mrs. B said...

sooo cute!

ballet news said...

LOVE them. Especially the colours. Genius !

Atticelf said...

:D How fun!

Shelley Malone said...

Lookit that HAAAAAT!!!! I'm not a squealer generally but that cute little hat on that adorable little mousie made me feel squealy. Looks like you and Alyssa are having a ball - she's lucky to have such a fun auntie!!

Tara said...

Oh.How.Fun!!!
Love it.
hugs,
tara

Dymphie said...

how fun to create these little crittens in good company, so very cute. Your niece is very talented too!

Alexandra MacVean said...

Oh my gosh....is there anything you CAN'T do?! :D These are adorable and brilliant! Hugs!

Jennifer DeDonato said...

That is tootin cute!

Beedeebabee said...

What cutie pie little critters you two created! I see Alyssa has got that something special art gene her Auntie Lori has!...I loved your chickadees, piggies, mousies and bunnies as well. Just too precious!!! xo Paulette :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...