Monday, August 15, 2011

inspiration monday


i have a bit of a problem when it comes to just being still.  i start to go a little crazy if i don't have something to do with my hands, and if i can multi-task, i'm even happier.  so when i sit in front of the t.v. at night, instead of stuffing my mouth with chocolate chips, potato chips, or anything else related to chips,  i've been "collecting" little snippets from magazines and catalogs.   then when i'm looking for inspiration, i can turn to this growing pile of printed goodness!



these snippets would be fabulous collage fodder, but i'm going to use them as starters for journal pages.  first, i'm going to create a new journal:  to take away that "fear of the blank page" i like to take pieces of 140 lb. watercolor paper and slosh some watercolor across the page.....on both sides (diluted acrylics work great, too!).




then i lay them out to dry.....and hope my dog doesn't walk all over them.




once the pages are dry, i fold them in half, 
and now i have the beginnings of a new journal that i can bind later.  
{note:  i cut my pieces of watercolor paper out of a spiral bound notebook like this one.  it's also perfectly okay to paint your paper while still in the notebook,  and then you don't have the extra steps of folding and binding later!}



now,  it's just a matter of rummaging through your snippets (i consider that half the fun!) and creating a journal page.  since your snippets come from all different sources, you'll have a great variety of subjects to choose from.  for example, you can create a page based on a quote you like.....this snippet says 
"don't go through life, grow through life" by eric butterworth



or maybe you find something that reminds you of someone special.



you might come across something that brings back a favorite childhood memory.



and sometimes you read something that really speaks to your heart.

when i was in school, i used to keep a journal very similar to this one.  i think the nice thing about this style of journaling is when you're inspired to sit down and be creative, you already have a starting point......your pages already have color (and you can always add more.....or not......depending on your design), and you have an illustration from your snippet stash to help you get started!

 go through those piles of magazines and stock up on inspiration......
you'll have lots of fun, and save tons of calories by not eating all those chips!! :))









32 comments:

Bonita Rose said...

Love your pages.. I am doing the same thing... tearing out pages of my fave magazines so they are ready to use in future pages, creations and collages.. love it!! We are kindred spirits.. we truly are. xo hugs

Sherri B. said...

I am in awe of your creativity...your work is so beautiful and inspiring! I'm so glad to be a follower of your blog. Happy Monday!

Vicki Holdwick said...

What a wonderful idea! Your journal is simply beautiful!

Thanks for sharing,

xoxo

Nancy said...

Your beautiful work is always so colorful and cherry and this journal is no exception......I love it....

I am always inspired when I come over for a visit....

mama bleu said...

OMG....Monday Inspiration is right!! You never cease to amaze and inspire with your ideas. This is a great idea!!

Unknown said...

wow wow wow WOW! This is amazing!! And so beautiful. And inspiring. *sigh*

I do the same thing with magazines and catalogs and mail- I call it "postal alchemy"- I go through the mail every so often with a pair of scissors and just cut out anything that calls to me. I have two boxes full of things, and when I feel like journaling, I get it out and see what makes sense. Some days, whatever I receive in the mail just calls to me to make a collage RIGHT AWAY and it all comes together. I love that!

Atticelf said...

I had a journal kind of like this at one point, but I just slapped the bits onto the (unadorned) page with glue (now...where did I put that anyway??).

Yours is so much prettier and creative. Love the idea of splashing some color on the pages first. My attempts at art journals have all foundered because of the deer-in-the-headlights scenario as I stare at the blank page.

Coming to your blog is kind of like sneaking that midnight piece of chocolate...always a treat and I'm never disappointed!

MarveLes Art Studios said...

I am a collector of those exact types of snippets... and what a great creative expression you've done! SWEET. I love the sayings. Thanks Lori, for this post! It speaks VOLUMES... every inch!

Patty S said...

this is such a clever idea. i am *in love* with this idea. having a staring point is often the trouble spot for me. it reminds me of my yard, actually! i want to do all kinds of gardens but our yard is just a field for the most part. no structure, no starting point. i often wish i had out buildings or something - somewhere to start and build my design around. i think that's why i love your idea so much. i rip snippets from magazines, too (another separated at birth thing? lol) and this would be such a neat way to document WHY i ripped them from magazines. great idea lori!!!!!!

Natural Mama said...

Such a beautiful and inspiring idea!
Thank you for sharing your creativity with us, I am in awe.

Jeanette said...

Fabulous idea, Lori! I have an ever-expanding collection of snippets that hold a whole new world of inspiration and use. Thanks! How fun and clever - like always! Best, Jeanette

Jessie May said...

Oh this is so inspiring :) I have tonnes of little snippets from magazines and brochures all waiting for... something. And now I know what! Your journal is awesome and incredibly beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Lori, that is wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing how you get creative on a blank page. I usually don't know where to begin! How fun. I must try that!

Ann-Margret said...

Great ideas! I love how you continued the leaves from the image of the white rose. :) I used to snip words and images from magazines, too, but stopped when people teased me about hoarding. I think I will start doing that again. ;)

Terri Kahrs said...

Awesome idea, Elvie! I've been clipping words out of discarded magazines, junk mail and flyers. I love the idea of reaching in and choosing a nonsensical phrase. Your recycling idea is a great way to jumpstart a journal. BTW - your new journal is awesome! Hugs, Terri

Createology said...

This might just be the best idea for conquering the fear of the blank journal page. I love your art and your inspiration. I do save snippets and I do use the word fodder so I already have the beginnings...and the watercolors, pencils, pens and paper...Hmmm! Creative week to you dear...

Eden said...

I love seeing your quotes become VISUAL!! That book is going to be a keeper :D

Dymphie said...

you always start the most wonderful cool projects. True inspiration!

aimee said...

these are GORGEOUS! oh happy happy your pages make me!

Martha Lever said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! Fabulous and so Lorilicious it makes my mouth water!!! Love your prints too!

Katie Cannon said...

I love the idea of using magazines as a way to become inspired. I really like the way you continued the rose onto the page.

Meghan Thimjon said...

I would love to know how you do your lettering. Its just amazing. Did you learn from someone or is it something you have just taught yourself over the years? I would love to know, I am soooo envious! Just awesome!!!!

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Brilliant! Twyla

Carin Winkelman said...

These pages are just gorgeous. Very inspiring post indeed, thank you!

fran pascazio said...

Your journal is beautiful...if only I could illustrate as well!!!

Megan Coyle said...

So clever - your work is pretty inspirational. I love how all the materials work together so well on these pages :)

Pat said...

You take journaling to new levels. Thanks for always taking us along with you!

Mademoiselle G said...

Love these! The white rose is so pretty!

Margaret said...

You are just so talented!! I wish I could do something like this, along with so many other techniques and crafty ideas. :o)

LadyBird said...

Brilliant, beautiful, inspirational!
Thank you!
Marianne
http://ladybirdhope.blogspot.com

Beedeebabee said...

I am just amazed at the stuff you come up with, Lori!...and your artwork just blows my mind! Do those little elvie gears in that cute little head of yours...ever stop spinning? I don't think so...and lucky for us, because you treat us to such wonderful posts, and you share such great ideas. I just love this! xo Paulette :)

Kathy McCreedy said...

Lori,
You are BEYOND clever! Your posts are just gorgeous and your artwork is so fun and bright and truly charming!!! Thank you SO much for your very kind comment you left on my site, made my day!
xoxo
K.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...