Monday, February 23, 2009

inspiration monday


this is a calendar book...for the year 1993...that was created by artist susan riecken.  i've loved this book for sixteen years.  it's literally travelled with me across the ocean a few times, and, to this day, i consider it to be one of my most treasured pieces of artwork.  and here's why:  the original calendar that susan created was done so using rubber stamps...that she hand carved from Eberhard Faber Rub-Kleen erasers.  her carving tool of choice was an X-Acto knife fitted with a number 11 blade.  every date, letter and illustration is a result of a hand-carved rubber stamp, some measuring only 1/16th of an inch tall!  susan has included lunar phases, solstices, and equinoxes, along with quotes and fun-facts throughout the calendar.  each time i look through this treasure, i try to imagine the amount of hours that went into this project.   i have such appreciation for her passion in completing such a masterpiece...and i'm truly inspired.  click on image for a better view of this wonderful artwork! 

8 comments:

Autumn Rose Crafts said...

It is so useful, and inspiring Sarah x

Martha Lever said...

Oh how wonderful is this. I have posted some handcarved today but I would love to have a little complete alphabet. I have one that is chunky but my goodness, look at hers!!! Great inspiration for this Monday!!!

PrairiePeasant said...

I love hand carving stamps! I have a lovely little calendar from 1984 that is all calligraphy and hand carved stamps. It's a keeper for inspiration!

Teresa aka Tess said...

Wow, sharing the story of the "how" makes this all the more interesting. The detail is amazing. Thanks for sharing....

Gifts of Creation said...

your appreciation for this artwork is so inspiring.This was a lot of work and creativity. Thanks for sharing.

Nicole said...

Hi there,

I know this post is a few years old, but thought I would give it a try anyway. I came across your blog looking for more information about Susan Riecken--I have a similar hand-carved/hand-stamped calendar (mine is for 1980) by the artist, and I was wondering if you knew anything else about her (maybe you were already a fan when you bought your calendar?) and whether she is still working. I found my book about 10 years ago in a thrift store and I just adore it.
Thanks for sharing yours!
enseep@gmail.com

Rachel said...

Hi Nicole & fellow fans... Susan is still working! She made her calendars for twenty-three years and is now focusing on other projects, but still in her same lovely style. You can contact her at susan.riecken@gmail.com .

Beet Girl said...

I have a Susan Riecken -
A Book for 1980 and that I have carted around and loved, and love and still own!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...